View Single Post
Old 12-03-11, 08:47 PM
Don in Austin
Don from Austin Texas

Bikes: Schwinn S25 "department store crap" FS MTB, home-made CF 26" hybrid, CF road bike with straight bar, various wierd frankenbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
CF frame #4 just got to US customs

Building my 4th no-name-CF-frame-from-China bike. The first two frames I got on e-bay. One was a 26 MTB frame, one a 700c road frame. I got CF seatpost, bars, headsets, and for the road bike a CF fork, at the same time. Excellent value and NO problems with the frames or components whatsoever. A serious roadie customer of mine was showing off his custom CF road bike that cost him $7k a while back, and I showed him my frankenbike flat bar road bike creation with the frame and fork from China. A year later I met him on a big group ride and damned if his wife wasn't riding a bike with the identical frame and fork as mine!

Next I bought a CF cyclocross frame and CF components from China and was a little scared about sending money directly to Ms. Fanny Ding, Guangdong, Mainland China. Indeed, she did NOT give me an accurate date as to when the frame would arrive -- it arrived two weeks head of what she told me! No problems whatsoever with any of the pieces.

My 29er internal cable CF frame is in the US at customs according to EMS tracking -- less than a week after I sent money through PayPal. Thank you Jason Chen!

My experience is do not be afraid to buy these pieces -- you can build a whole custom bike for less than what a frame alone with a well-known logo would cost.

Don't need no stinking Trek or Cervelo logos on my bikes, I take some of my savings and give it to the custom pinstripe dude.

Don in Austin