View Single Post
Old 12-04-11, 04:35 PM
duffer1960

Bikes: Fred cycles

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Nearby was a parking lot with two light standards that defined the apices of an oval track, with a bicycle lap time similar to the stock car lap time at the county fair 1/4 mile oval. Over the years I accumulated several or many (don't remember) skinned elbows and knees from wiping out in the turns, after striking a pedal or losing it on some sand. The Schwinn Speedster never complained.

Ha! Inox! Dad bought a similar bike for me, don't remember the brand name on it. Stingray knockoff, right? I rode it a few miles, and parts like the brake calipers and derailleur and fenders started working loose. Some of these had the weird and vaguely cheap-sounding name Shimano! I think it wasn't comfortable either and handled poorly, as if the headset was too tight maybe; it's so long ago I don't remember. We took it back to the dept. store where we bought it. Then, got my black, camelback, single-speed Speedster. It was the best bike Dad could afford. In those days single speed coaster brakes bikes were normal and common. After that experience with derailleur and caliper brakes, I was very happy with one speed, and with the Schwinn's comfort and handling.

Last edited by duffer1960; 12-05-11 at 06:32 AM.