Thread: Bianchi Volpe
View Single Post
Old 12-12-11, 09:13 AM
photojon

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe, Vitus 979

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tom, There seems to be plenty of references, around these forums, to the Volpe being like the Cross Check, but lighter. I was going to test ride a built up Cross Check, but could not find one locally. I did test ride a Gary Fisher/Trek Lane after testing several aluminum w/carbon fork cyclecross 2-ring crotch rockets (Cannondale, Scott, Kona, Giant). The Lane was such a sweet ride after riding those other four, that I knew that I would only be happy with a steel bike. The last steel bike that I owned met with a bad fate (along with my collarbone) in a collision descending Chestnut Mountain in the Galena Territory in 1988. My current road bike and MTB are both aluminum. I had forgotten how good steel felt compared to aluminum. In my youth (early 40's), it was all about speed and quickness in handling. Now, a smooth, but still swift, ride is more my priority. The reason I did not go for the Lane was the Sora/Deore shifting set up that it was equipped with as a sale closeout. I prefer the Tiagra shifters, and wanted a triple crank for my future advanced years. So my search led me straight to the Volpe.

Last edited by photojon; 01-09-12 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Added signature.