View Single Post
Old 12-13-11, 07:02 PM
mr,grumpy 

Bikes: 1978(ish) Peugeot PRN10e, Specialized Tricross

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 25 Posts
No. Not like "top speed". Clearly that would be gearing. I don't know how much bike weight plays into it at MY weight class either. Just the perception of speed. Like, in any given situation I felt that the 1500 was quicker to accelerate and handle and felt to be just going faster for the amount of effort that I was putting out. I was not so scientific as to compare exact shifter positions to one another, just going by feel as i was actually comparing comfort levels of the two bikes. It was a secondary observation that the Trek was faster. I have the base model. I wish that I had found it in "sport" for the similarity in shifting with the 105s on the Trek. I was buying used though and on a pretty tight budget.
Originally Posted by AndreyT
What do you mean by "faster"? The higher gearing?

It is a fact that CX bike will normally have higher gearing than MTB bike, yet lower than a dedicated road bike. I.e. the highest gear on a road bike will provide faster ride than the highest gear on a CX bike.

Is that what you are talking about?

BTW, what version of TriCross were you riding? Elite, Sport, something else?

1980ish Raleigh Marathon (Vintage Steel)
2006 Trek 820 (Captain Amazing)
2010 Specialized Tricross (Back in Black)
2008 Specialized Roubaix