View Single Post
Old 12-16-11, 01:25 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I've ridden a few straight bar hybrids and the Ergon GC2 and GR2 grips have been a Godsend. With traditional MTB grips I was good for 30 minutes or so and by 60 minutes I was absolutely miserable. I have GC2 grips on my current hybrid and have the bar ends set at an angle that approximates the angle you would have riding the hoods of a drop bar. The Ergon grips also have a widened palmar surface which I have set to keep my wrists in a neutral position when on the flats. By switching between the flat and the bar end positions every few minutes, I can ride for extended periods with very little discomfort. If I do get a tingly hand, I just hang it down for a few seconds opening and closing my fist and I'm good to go. Good riding gloves with an adequate ulnar groove (keeps the pressure off the ulnar nerve and artery thus preventing numb fingers) are another good investment. You don't have to have expensive gel padded gloves as its not the padding, it's the design of the glove that aleviates pressure points. I use some leather-palmed Bontrager gloves that were relatively inexpensive and they work just fine.