Old 12-17-11, 02:32 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami Bikes

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 260 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
You can win/ride anything. But, that doesn't make it optimum for the situation.
True

Originally Posted by ducnut View Post
Crit racers, typically, wouldn't ride such a heavy wheel. Ideally, they'd be buying the lightest and stiffest thing they can find.
I'd disagree, even with the "aero>weight" statement; it depends on the course and on the race (category, which riders, etc). On some courses a heavier wheel (and more aero) works fine. Think a huge rectangular course where you never brake for corners, with super strong racers in the field pushing the pace, single file, 30 mph. Tour of Somerville comes to mind.

On other courses a lighter wheel that's less aero would be better. Think 8 turns in 1/2 mile, 2 lanes wide, no shoulders, lots of sewer grates narrowing road more, U-turn hairpin in there somewhere with max speed 20 mph, constantly sprinting out of corners even if you're at the front. Some of the Tour de Michigan courses come to mind; the local Tue Night Worlds training crit is another.

I only race crits, mainly flat ones, and I want both light and aero. Given the choice between aero (Jet 6 front, Jet 9 rear) and light (Ardennes), I use the Ardennes. I've even tried Jet 9 rear, Ardennes front, for windy conditions, but the Ardennes, for me, work better than that.