Old 12-17-11, 08:01 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by rookgirl
The mtn bike has an issue which I can't solve - something slips when I start from a stop after backpedaling to get the pedal into the correct position. I can't recreate it at the shop and he cna't get it to do it, yet it happen every time i try and start from a standing stop (at a traffic light, fro example). Although practical and ugly (i don't care about wrecking it), it's just not working! I'd also prefer a more upright position, but I don't want to spend any real money on it (for a taller stem, for example). I don't think it's worth spending any money on to convert it to SS.
The above reads like one or a combination of:

Worn chain and or worn cogs(s)
Worn jockey wheel pulleys
Misaligned derailleur, hangar tab bent.
Worn out derailleur, pivots w/ too much slop
Stiff link, the chain has to be tested for ease of movement with no tension, a gloved hand job.

I had a skip on one bike I just diagnosed, different wheel set revealed that it was a bent hangar tab. When I backpedaled at a stoplight to set up the cranks to restart quickly the chain would come slightly off the upper jockey wheel, start off and I felt a jump.

I recently got another bike that shifted poorly, jockey wheels and the chain had to go, too bad- it was a nice looking Regina Record Oro unit... lateral wear was the killer, length was good, almost factory.

Mtb's get the kind of use / abuse that often kills driveline parts fast.

I had a girlfriend long ago who rode to my house with heels and a little black dress... grand memories.