Old 12-21-11, 08:41 PM
mechBgon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by side_FX
Thanks to everyone for the replies. They've all given me a lot to think about. Of course, everyone says it's ok except for the one guy who backs up his concern with photographic evidence, so I think I am right back where I started. My problem is all the closeout deals are putting some real nice 2011s out there while I have some money to spend. I was thinking road bike, but now the Trek DS line is calling my name. I've thought about the Montare/Utopia's in the past since there are some decent trails around the area and it would keep me off the roads with the crazy metal boxes everywhere. I breings me back to another question I've thought about, do you lose more weight and gain more fitness trying to lug a heavy bike around or by spinning longer on a something feather light? Maybe I just need two bikes?
The LeMond in the photo isn't a Trek 1.1. And of his string of bikes, the one I'd be concerned about breaking is his Madone, based on my experience working at a Trek dealership. I've never seen a broken 1.1/1.2 so far. Madones, on the other hand...

I'll look tomorrow to see if we have a 2011 1.1 or 1.2. If so, I'll verify about the 700 x 28 clearance. One note of caution, the wheels are not what I'd call fantastic, and at that price point you pretty much have to expect that. If you begin blowing spokes in the rear after 18 months, have a compotent wheelbuilder set you up with a Tiagra 36-hole rear hub, DT Swiss 14-15ga spokes and a strong rim, perhaps a Velocity Dyad if you have no plans to go back to 700 x 23s.