Thread: Why GPS?
View Single Post
Old 12-24-11, 06:30 PM
Yo Spiff
Carpe Velo

Bikes: 2000 Bianchi Veloce, '88 Schwinn Prologue, '90 Bianchi Volpe,'94 Yokota Grizzly Peak, Yokota Enterprise, '16 Diamondback Haanjo, '91 Bianchi Boardwalk, Ellsworth cruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Why GPS?

I've been listening to others talk about their GPS devices and how much they like them. What benefits are there to the lower end models that seem to go for $150-$300?

I am not a racer, and I don't train like one either. I'm strictly recreational and I've always been happy with the basic functions. I would find mapping capability to be a big draw, as I enjoy free-form exploring, but those models with mapping seem to go for $500+. I do like to see a real map and be able to relate it to the road I see in front of me. I have an Android phone I can use if I get lost, but don't care for the idea of putting it on my handlebars. I also think my phone would run out of power if I was out all day using it for that.

So, is there something about the lower priced GPS's I am not understanding, or is it a higher priced model I would actually be after? Thanks.