View Single Post
Old 12-27-11, 08:52 PM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by slowtostart
Thanks for all of your responses. I didn't mean to sound like a jerk about my road bike. 300 in bike dollars just doesn't stretch that far on the new ones. Are you saying the head tube is taller on the one I'm looking at? I'm comfortable on the Sprite I now own as well as my 54cm road bike. How many sizes did these come in? For me, larger in the lady's version would probably be a better fit.

I'm assuming the tires (Love those two thin lines.) and tubes should be replaced. Should I also plan on new cables and housings?
I'm saying it appears to be longer, I'm terrible at eyeballing womens bike heights in pics though.. and the top of the seat tube appears the same as mine so if there seller is listing as 21" it probably is. The bike looks pristine to me, but it's probably around 50 years old.. how are your bike mechanic skills? If you know how to check for wear and tear you'd be a better judge of what needs new what.. the tires don't look dry rotted or all that worn from here, so if they appear good and the tubes are holding air you might even skip that step.. however if your not a bike mechanic, take it to a shop have a guy look it over and tell you what needs doing.. make sure you trust the shop, or get a friend to do it. In an ideal world however with money being no objects.. you'd get new cotterpins, a new chain probably, BB's and repack your headset/hubs/BB recable everything, new tubes/tires... but that just feels like overkill to me

The two general sizes I know of are 21" and 23" frames and I have also laid eyes on two whole 25" Superbes before...

With all that out of the way I need to ask you something, are you really prepared to spend 300 dollars on a near bottom of the line 60's road bike that needs odd parts when it needs repairs? and it's not exactly rare.. there were thousands upon thousands of them made.. and there still are thousands upon thousands of them out there being ridden. >.> I know I know.. I should be saying.. but it's so pristine.. it's such a trusty steed.. but will it make a good bike for you?