View Single Post
Old 12-31-11, 05:42 PM
groth
astro

Bikes: Raleigh Sports, '72, Bianchi Volpe, '97 (no more, it died), Greenspeed GTVS6, '05, Trek 520, '13

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 25 Posts
Holiday Chick Magnet

Those of you that know me know that my bike is usually equipped with a “chick magnet.” A colorful pinwheel fastened to the rear rack. When I first put it on over a decade ago, I hadn't ridden more than two miles when a sweet young thing overtaking from behind said, “I love your pinwheel!” It's been a conversation starter – usually with women – ever since.

Well, I managed to break it off this past summer and haven’t gotten around to repairing it, but I found something that apparently works just as well.

I was on my weekend bike ride this New Year’s Eve, riding up the hill from the Delaware River at Washington’s Crossing, when I spotted a festive looking doll like thing in a sewer grate. So I stopped, backtracked, picked it up and stuck it in my pannier looking out the back.

I continued riding in the shoulder up the hill to a flat spot when a big black SUV passed me and stopped. Hmmm… It didn’t pull over, just stopped in the middle of the road. Pretty soon the flashers came on. I tend to get a little apprehensive in situations like this. But I thought, it could be the couple I talked to on the tow path who were riding to their car at the Washington’s Crossing parking lot. In any case, I kept on going, and pretty soon was even with the SUV. Although it’s hard to see through the heavily tinted glass, I was pretty sure there were no bikes inside and I didn’t recognize the people so I kept on going and passed a woman and dog coming the other way. I said (still having no clue what the SUV was up to), do these people want to talk to you?!? Just then the SUV pulled up beside me with the window down and the two women in the car said, “We just wanted to check out your elf.”

Happy New Year to All!

Ed

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
img_1303_2.jpg (36.5 KB, 66 views)