View Single Post
Old 11-06-02, 10:26 AM
wlevey

Bikes: Bike 1 - Bianchi 928, Easton carbon stem, bar & seat post, Ultegra 11/23 cassette. Bike 2 - 03 Lemond Buenos Aries. FSA compact crank, Sella Italia FSK sadle and Ultegra 12/27 cassette

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trainer vs Exercise bike and which one

Now that it is starting to get a bit too nippy for my 5 AM ride before going to work I am thinking of ways to keep my cycling up over the winter (and hopefully improve my conditioning and possibly my form).

I have looked into both trainers and exercise bikes and find benefits and drawbacks to both (imagine that). I am looking for something in the $300-$400 range (I think I would rather put the big bucks into my bike).

The two trainers I have found that seem interesting are the Kinetic by Kurt $340 for the Road Machine) which boasts a really heavy flywheel and super construction and the Cateye CS1000 $400 which has both a fan and magnetic resistance and the ability to simulate hills (up to a 10% grade!!). It also has the added advantage of having a built in computer to monitor speed, grade, caleries, cadance etc. which the Kinetic doesn't have.

I am in a quandry as to which way to go. I am also thinking that an exercise bike would be good to have since I would not be adding wear and tear to my bike and I would be able to take it out easier on nice days. The problem I see is that I will not be able to afford one that closely approximates riding my bike. Most of the ones in the price range I can afford have a different riding position than a bike and have BIG comfort seats.

If anyone knows the trainers or knows of an exercise bike with an aero bar/tt bar position PLEASE LET ME KNOW!!

Thanks...Bill:confused: