Are we having fun yet?

Bikes: Fuji Roubaix, Trek 7200

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Multi-tasking

This could actually fit in many threads:

I saw a fast cyclist on a road bike making a left turn at an intersection in downtown St. Louis yesterday.
He looked to be in good shape: muscular, thin.
He was African-American.
He was wearing tights and did not look like a fairy.
He had his right hand on the bar, and in his left hand, at his ear, he had a cell phone.
He looked to be carrying on an animated phone conversation.

I don't know about anyone else, but I do carry a cell phone with me when I'm on the bike. I consider it useful to let the family have a way of reaching me, to give me a way to reach them if I have to, and to give me a way to get help if I need it (haven't needed it, though). When the phone rings, I stop, put my feet on the ground, and answer it. If I can't answer it in time, I check the missed calls list and return the call. I don't think I could hold the phone to my ear and cycle any distance well at all. I have tried using a headset while on the bike, but since I want to hear cars approaching behind me, I wouldn't keep the earpiece in. Without the earpiece in, answering a call is almost as clumsy as pulling the phone out of a back pocket.

I do use a cell phone while I drive, though I know many people object to that. I think I am capable of driving-phone multi-tasking. Is anyone really all that capable of cycling-phone multi-tasking?