View Single Post
Old 01-03-12, 07:10 AM
staehpj1 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by prathmann View Post
Don't think there's all that much weight to be saved compared to lightweight panniers. My panniers weigh only a little over a pound each and I only use one pair, so it's less than 2.5 lbs. Stuff bags and the straps necessary to attach them might save at most a pound but would be considerably less convenient to use.
What panniers do you have? Even the lighter ones on the market today are usually at least 2 pounds each. I think the lightest I have checked were 1.5 pounds. Sea to Summit 20 liter sil-nylon dry sacks weigh 1.7 ounces. So the difference is fairly substantial. That said I would be inclined to go with lighter model panniers rather than sil-nylon dry sacks unless going ultralight with the rest of your gear. At 22 pounds of gear weight I used Nashbar ATB panniers and didn't go to sil-nylon until shooting for 15 pounds of gear weight.

There is the reduced convenience of finding and accessing items in dry bags as compared to panniers, but it is a bit less of a factor when the stuff is pared down to a small number and volume of items.

I figure that when you get to the load shown below the sil-nylon sacks start to make sense, much more than that and I will stick to panniers.