View Single Post
Old 01-03-12, 08:13 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by paperbackbiker
In the low teens, in fact. But I think I'm ready for it. New studded tires, new light, bring it on!
I note you post from Boston; Boston commuter here too, Kenmore Square to Norwood. I was feeling ill today for the 26 degree commute, but hope I can do it in the 9 degree prediction for tomorrow. I plan to ride the good road bike, not the beater with studded tires.

I do have some new items for riding at less that 20 degrees that I want to try out:

-new Neoprene booties to replace the torn, threadbare faithful old ones

-fleece-lined mittens with fingered liners; I'll wear them with a separate pair of knit fingered gloves

-a "necky."

Yesterday I was at REI in the Landmark Center looking at balaclavas and I saw this last item, a triangular piece of a fleece-like material on a circular band. I figured out what it was and the salesman confirmed it describing it as a "neck gaiter."

I have been looking for a similar type item for a few years called a "dickie," which was a turtle neck with attached front and rear panels of similar material, sort of a turtleneck sweater facade, meant to be worn with a V-neck sweater. A very 1970's look; think "Andy Williams Christmas Special." That's probably why I could never find one.