View Single Post
Old 01-03-12, 10:08 AM
staehpj1 

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly View Post
ah i'm convinced about all this, your set up looks good Staehpj1 but it has to be a pain to get to things ,you dont have the convenience of popping open a pannier in jig time to retrieve something in a hurry. but i could be all wrong has been known.so are you totally convinced panniers are a thing of the past for you .
I have little enough gear that I think accessing stuff will be not too big of a hassle with good planning in how the gear is packed. That said I have not yet toured with my latest planned setup, so I may have to come back and say it was a failure. I leave on my next tour February 11th and will report back on how it worked out after my return.

The lightest I have actually gone so far is shown in the picture with the front panniers. Gear weight was at 22 pounds there, not counting water, food, fuel, or a duffel bag that I was supposed to mail home, but never got around to.

I would not say that panniers are definitely a thing of the past for me. I try to never say never, there may be reasons that I decide to tour heavier in the future