View Single Post
Old 01-08-12, 08:19 AM
DW99
Senior Lurker, mostly.

Bikes: '02 Raleigh C40, '10 Fuji Touring, and a refurbished '82 (I think) Motobecane Grand Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is what I believe to be an '82.

Did quite a bit of research online, looked at several scanned promotional spec sheets and judging from the components and paint schemes that came on them in different years, it was a process of elimination. I believe this was a new color in '82, was not pictured but was said to be also "in New Blue" as an alternative to the Grey, it also has Huret shifters and derailers, Stronglight crank, Weinmann brakes and Wheels with Mailard hubs. This particular group of components I did not find on any of the other years. This year '82, as much as I can tell, did not have Suntour or Shimano as the other years did, and in the literature description exact components were not stated but said to be good touring components or something to that effect. Weinmann wheels made in Belgium, but frame and other components all made in France.

My theory, since the '82 was made in those "in between years" so to speak, the frame is actually a left over from 1980, as the inside of the left chain stay drop out has 0980 stamped on it. The "in between years" being the years between when Motobecane stopped making them, I believe was 1980, and the other company (don't remember name) started making them again using the Motobecane name in 1984.

For those of you that have more experience and knowledge about these things, does this scenario seem feasible? Shooter1, how does this coincide with your information?

Last edited by DW99; 01-10-12 at 05:06 AM.