View Single Post
Old 01-08-12, 03:58 PM
raydog

Bikes: Pinarello, Cannondale Team Scalpel, Raleigh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just gonna say it because I bought a Bike Direct bike some years ago. In certain corners of the bicycle culture there is some resentment of mail order bikes....usually purchased without the usual quality assembly one gets at a LBS. Fitment is another issue, like buying shoes or helmets off the internet. The buyer then brings the bike into the LBS and un does some of the initial purchase savings by getting it professionally assembled and adjusted. I gave a bike mechanic a $50 Starbucks card to dial in mine and I'm not taking sides on this type of buying decision, just explaining an "under the radar" part of it, it may not even apply to you! After 8 years I liked my Bike Direct bike so much I still have it as a third roadbike. If I was going to do it again, I think I'd go into my LBS, introduce myself and tell the folks what I'm doing and ask how much to dial it in (unless you are comfortable in doing it all yourself). Just some thoughts. I'm sure some will disagree with me but that was my recent past experience. BTW, since then I've gotten to know and ride with my LBS owner and have bought 3 subsequent bikes from him and all accessories. The relationship part is what you don't get through UPS or FedEx!