View Single Post
Old 01-09-12, 06:28 AM
Suburban

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In my old neighbourhood, it wasn't safe to ride your bike with children. I tried it once, never again. Also, I remember hearing advice like this from websites and Dr: A baby or young child in a carrier that is attached to an adult's bike is at risk for serious injury, even when using all the latest safety equipment.....It is best to wait to bike with children until they have the balance and coordination to ride along with you on their own bicycles. Usually, this is around age 7. Do not allow children to ride in the street until they are 10 years old, are skilled riders, and consistently observe the basic rules of the road.... Children younger than 1 year should not ride in any type of seat mounted on your bicycle. Before sitting in a rear-mounted seat, your child must sit well without support and be able to wear a lightweight helmet.... Be careful where you ride. Do not ride with your child on busy streets, even where there is a bike lane. Try to ride in bicycle-only areas, such as recreational paths....Do not ride with your child during bad weather....Don't buy a tricycle until your child has the basic coordination to ride it appropriately. Usually, this is around age 3. https://www.healthlinkbc.ca/kb/conte...al/ue5158.html

The message I got from authorities was that cycling with small children was frowned on in general. Most of the roads around us to get anywhere were busy, fast and didn't have sidewalks. I have 2years between my older 2, 2.5 years between my middle and younger child. That's 6 years with a baby/toddler in the house. It stopped occuring to me to go ride.