Old 01-09-12, 11:05 PM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
I'll put in my .02 on the infill paint issue

What I have always done with good results is use Goof-Off - even on the frame. It's very quick acting on the new infill paint, but not strong enough to go through the established clearcoat/paint given the small amount it will take to remove any new paint. As Otis points out, lightly using a lint-free cloth will give best results, then clean up any remaining residue with denatured alcohol. I also +1 on toothpicks and/or a fine artist's brush.

As for removing the paint from the alloy components: Goof-Off will not remove the anodizing, nor even hurt the alloy of the non-anodized parts (such as the seatpost). Wipe off the old paint quickly and efficiently with a semi-soaked lint-free cloth. I just removed some orange infill paint from the flutes of a SR seatpost - came off in minutes, and that was paint that had been there for 9 years. You don't have to be anywhere near as careful doing it on parts - just the frame.

For the deeper, more intricate stuff - like the hearts on the chainring - employ a toothbrush and Goof-Off. Works like a charm.

And BTW, if you plan on riding that stunner, pull the chainring and set it aside. That's gold

A fantastic bike you've got there; the lugwork is magnificent and you've just got to admire the fact that it's been very well taken care of for all these years. A great bike for a makeover, but not too much of a makeover

I'm looking forward to seeing pics of this with new decals and infill paint.

DD