Old 01-10-12, 12:09 AM
shopgirl

Bikes: a heavy old steel Frankenbike Gitane, a cruiser (not something I'd buy for myself, but it was a gift, what can you do?), a Greg Lemond, a Specialized Stumpjumper(old, steel, fully rigid), and a Specialized Safire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not amazing, but not a bad deal if it fits. If it doesn't and you can't ride it comfortably, then the bike could turn into a money pit. You might wind up spending another hundred on new components to change up the fit, unless you have parts laying around. If you can't get the frame to fit comfortably, then you'll have to buy a new frame. Would you be switching the components over yourself, or taking it to a shop? Even if you find a good deal on a better frame, the labor costs to build it up would probably be at least $100-150, maybe more, assuming you don't end up needing to buy other new parts to fit the new frame. It's very possible that you could end up spending the same amount on upgrades as you spent on the bike initially.
Clearly, the solution is to buy a CAAD10-4. Then post it in the Cult of CAAD thread.

EDIT: In all seriousness, OP, I think it's great that you want to get back into riding, and if the CAAD10-4 really is way beyond your budget, I would ask if you've looked at year-end closeouts at your local shop(s) yet. Big frames like what you would be looking for are often the last to move.

Last edited by shopgirl; 01-10-12 at 12:14 AM.