Old 01-12-12, 04:11 PM
Digital_Cowboy

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock Mountain (Stolen); Giant Seek 2 (Stolen); Diamondback Ascent mid 1980 - 1997

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by K'Tesh
Last night I was studying at the local KFC restaurant (no TV or computer to distract me), when an elderly gentleman I recognized came in to order something. He set down a binder, went to the counter, thought a bit, then changed his mind, and left without the binder. My head was down during this time, so I didn't notice it until after he had driven off. So, the crew put it in the office for safekeeping. I kept studying until they closed, then I realized that I needed to move. There's another fast food restaurant down the street that stays open later, so I went there.

At that restaurant, I found the gentleman eating, and working on something. I told him of the lost binder, and he asked me which KFC (there's only one in this section of town). So, I told him, and pointed it out. But he was confused, so I pointed it out again, and repeated that the lobby was closed, but he may be able to go to the drive thru, and talk to the manager. He left, then came back a few minutes later, and told me that the lobby was locked, so he came back again, and asked me to describe the binder. I did, but I got the strong impression that his mind was locked into some kind of repeating loop. A few minutes later, he came up to me again and told me that the KFC was locked, and was I sure that he had left his binder there. I described it again and he shuffled off.

Later, I heard him ask another customer where he had left his binder, and thanked them for telling him about it. I recognized this person as well, and I'm certain that they were not at KFC after he left. This gave me the impression that this gentleman is suffering from Alzheimer's or some other medical issue. Then he said the words that really put a fear into me. He checked his car, and didn't find anything missing.

That was chilling. He forgot his binder, needed to be reminded of which KFC he left it at, and where KFC was. He did this repeatedly, and then to the wrong person. I called non-emergency to advise them of this. I've been hit by an elderly driver, and I don't want a repeat, or to hear about someone else being hit.

An officer came out and found him, and I listened in on the conversation. From that, I found out that the driver had also parked his car in the no parking section of the Disabled parking area. The elderly driver asked if he should move it, and the officer said no, it was ok this time. They talked some more and the gentleman again asked if he needed to move his car, again he was told no.

At this time, I realized that I wasn't going to be able to study any more, so I left quietly behind the officer. I talked to him, and he told me he that he understood why I'd call, but there's not much they can do at this time (his violation wasn't enough to get his driving abilities tested).

Here's the thing that scares me, what will it take for this driver, and others like him, to get their ability behind the wheel tested, and if necessary their licenses removed.

Do you really need to ask that question? We all know that it isn't until he has been involved in several "accidents" that either injures or worse kills someone before someone is going to take notice and have him retested. He is an "accident" waiting to happen. As what happens when he's out driving and "forgets" where he is and makes a wrong turn?

I know that age alone isn't a good factor in determining when to retest someone, but for right now, it is all that we have. Once a person reaches a certain age they should have to not only be retested, but should also have to have a medical exam if they wish to continue to drive.

Medical personal shouldn't be afraid to report patients (regardless of age) that they think are unsafe drivers, and doctor/patient confidentiality shouldn't be an issue when the greater safety is a legitimate concern.

I mean we all know that as we age our eyesight, reflexes, muscle control, etc. all deteriorate and get slower. So that age in that regard IS a measure to determine when to start retesting people.

And who knows maybe if enough people (seniors and non-seniors alike) lose their driving privilege it'll be the motivator for improved public transportation.