View Single Post
Old 01-12-12, 08:54 PM
jsdavis

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by enine
I'd keep the truck, having owned a minivan and a truck, the truck is much better.
One issue is safety, if your in some sort of accident there is no separation between cargo and driver in anything but a truck and most of your bungee cords and rope and whatnot are rated for a static load and not dynamic load so your likely to get knocked in the head.
Then there is always the one thing you want to carry thats too tall.
There really isn't much downside to a truck either, my v6 mini van could hit 25mog highway, the v8 4x4 truck 21mpg highway but loaded the both would drop down to 19-20. The truck is designed to haul a load where the minivan is designed to haul a couple extra people occasionally so maintenance cost is lower on the truck so overall cost is about even for a more capable vehicle.
But how much force will a crash exert on ropes or ratchet straps? I've moved my bike in a Sienna countless times. I used two 3000lb ratchet straps and the bike never budged. I one strap from each side attached to the nose of the saddle or sometimes the seatpost, to keep the bike upright. Will a 25lb bike exert sufficient force to break this?

Last edited by jsdavis; 01-12-12 at 08:58 PM.