K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by wsbob
there isn't one single word describing how this person actually drives, or was driving that night.
Hi wsbob,

I should have mentioned that not only was he parked in the no parking area (the loading/unloading zone) of the Disabled Parking space, he was also parked crookedly. True, I didn't see him drive, but my concerns were raised by his confusion, and his forgetfulness. His advanced years did admittedly play a role, but if I had observed the same behavior in a younger person, I'd have thought that he was impaired too.

I don't want to start a flame war over ageism, but there should be some way that allows the DMV to verify that any driver is still mentally and physically capable of operating a motor vehicle safely. Perhaps everybody should be retested (written and a driving (or virtual driving)) at the time that they renew their drivers license. I'd advocate that in the event of specific medical conditions (not determined by me, but by a panel of experts in the transportation and medical fields) licensing should be suspended until the condition is resolved. Appeals would be possible, but the licenses would then be placed on a more frequent renewal process if deemed necessary. To that, I'd add that there should also be a way of automatically being required to be retested following any "at fault" crash or incident (no appeal).

In reference to Bekologist's post.. Being hit by a dottering senior could render someone else housebound (or worse), and negatively impact that person's (and their loved ones') quality of life.

Perhaps we should all just go back to walking, riding bikes, trains, streetcars, and horses for ground transportation.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 01-13-12 at 01:05 PM.