FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jaquelinp
I recommend you take it in to a good well respected fitter.
I respectfully disagree. The "well respected fitter" at the local bike shop (LBS) is adept at fitting bikes to people who want to RACE bicycles - not just ride them. The racing fit that such a fitter will provide will not be appropriate to the majority of riders who need a more upright, more relaxed fit.

Before the majority of forum users jump on me, let me say that if you LIKE the racing rider fit, then power to you. I do contend that such a fit is NOT appropriate for the MAJORITY of riders on the road. Why pay money for a "fit" session that doesn't meet your own needs? Fitting a rider to a bike is not rocket science.

There are a variety of books and online calculators that provide fit advice. The majority of them will get you in the ballpark if the racing fit is what you want. Also note that the books and online calculators rarely agree with each other. Which of these "professional fits" is right? In fact - none of them. The ONLY fit that is right is the fit that fits YOU and the type of riding you do.

Since you are the final authority anyway, educate yourself and fit yourself. The mystique of the "professional fit" is expensive, rarely accurate, and always overrated.