Old 01-16-12, 09:23 AM
medic001918

Bikes: Felt Z6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel Question: Zipp 808 vs. Enve 65

I'm going to be getting into some longer distance triathlons this year (Olympic and Half Ironman with the goal of a 2013 Full) and I've been getting closer to getting a set of race wheels, especially with tax returns coming up right around the corner. I was in my shop yesterday talking to the guys and we were talking about some Zipp 808 Firecrest wheels. One of the guys who pretty much only rides on aero wheels suggested "if you're talking that kind of money, why not look at Enve?" He showed me a set of Enve 65's that he currently has on his bike and we talked about the differences in manufacturing processes and such. For the same cost as a set of 2012 FC 808's (from eBay), I can get a set of Enve 65's with Chris King hubs. This option gives me a higher spoke count to stiffen the wheel due to my size (I'm 6'2"/215). He seemed to think the 24/28 count was a better way to go. The Enve wheel set up is a couple hundred grams lighter than the Zipp's, but the Zipp's are deeper. I know it's all about aero right now. Are the Enve's good? Which wheel would be the better build? I don't want to end up with a wheel that's not durable enough or where I wish I had gotten the other set. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Shane

Both wheel sets are Clinchers!