Old 01-18-12, 08:59 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanK
... ... I've also looked at the LHT, but the bb is too low, and it can't handle rough, steep terrain. Any suggestions are appreciated
Are you sure that the bottom bracket is that much lower on the LHT than on the Sherpa? I have both a 700c LHT with 37mm width tires and a Thorn Sherpa with 26X2.0 tires. I have not measured the bottom bracket height, but when I stop at a stoplight and have one foot on the ground, the two bikes feel like they have comparable bottom bracket heights.

Originally Posted by Lasse
... ... Have you considered building up the Sherpa from the frameset? I'm 100% certain I could build a Sherpa that is perfectly tour worthy for less than £1330. ... ...
New Thorn Sherpa frame and fork is quite expensive with expensive shipping to USA. I got lucky, I bought my Sherpa frame and fork used from someone that had bought the wrong size.

Originally Posted by AlanK
... ... I absolutely love the Thorn Sherpa, but it's a bit pricey for me. Does anyone know of a similar bike that is less expensive? ... ...
If you can figure out how to have one delivered to Canada instead of Seattle, you might get a better price. The guy that sold me his used Sherpa frame and fork had it shipped to his home in Canada. I was shocked when he told me how much lower the shipping costs were to Canada than to USA.

Originally Posted by wahoonc
I would look for late 80's MTB in steel. I have a 1989 Giant Iguana that is set up similarly to the Thorn. Surly does make other bikes...
If you look at older steel MTB bikes, look at chainstay length, you might have trouble getting panniers mounted without causing heel strike issues. I have an old Bridgestone MTB that has short chainstays.