Old 01-19-12, 03:11 PM
S_B

Bikes: Vintage Holdsworth Mistral (tourer); Specialized Allez (road); vintage Marin Bear Valley SE (MTB); vintage Dawes Galaxy (commuter)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to the of world visual impairment ...

Hi - I'll start with a quick bit of background ... I'm nearly 7 weeks out from major heart surgery (aortic valve replacement - sorting out a valve that has, unknown to me, been defective since before birth) and am recovering well. I was previously fit and healthy (I'm 47 years old before you ask). I was (pre-op) a keen cyclist and general sportsman (a bit of running, swimming and lots of running around after the kids!).
So why the posting? Well, during my surgery I suffered a stroke and as a result have lost my left-field peripheral vision. My 'main' forward sight is unaffected, and my right-field peripheral vision is also normal. So, its kind of like having tunnel vision - but only on one side!
I am keen to hear of other tales of getting back into cycling following sight loss or impairment (especially following stroke). I want to make sure I have some strong positive examples to follow and that will make it abundantly clear that there is no reason I shouldn't get back to doing what I love ...
So, what tales do you have?
Any tips for a 'newbie' in the world of visual impairment?
Cheers - Steve