I need speed

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cervelo P2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by badhat View Post
i'm not realy sure how that would work.

seems like cardiovascular adaptation is cardiovascular adaptation, irrespective of the stress that induced it, but i dunno.

the downside (for me anyway) is that i'd rather eat glass than do tabatas 2 or 3 times a week for 6 weeks.
According to the physiologist working with our team, because anaerobic effort doesn't require O2, anaerobic workouts over an extended period of time can reduce your capacity to burn O2. You want all the mitochondria, red blood cells and capillaries you can make. And, since anaerobic capacity can be built quickly, he considers it far better to do the anaerobic workouts in the 11 days before a race, thereby minimizing any negative adaptation (reduction in your ability to burn O2). The more O2 you transport to your muscles, the more fat and glucose you can burn. The best way to build VO2MAX is working in the ~.85 RER range, not at VO2MAX, which he says teaches your body that it doesn't need O2.

The guy lives and breathes this stuff, as well as nutrition, and I hope I presented his concepts correctly.