Thread: Bike help
View Single Post
Old 01-20-12, 07:30 PM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TheOutdoorsman
Hi all, i am looking for a new bicycle and was looking for some advice. I ride 95% road 5% dirt trails, and am currently using an 80's road bike. I was looking into single speed bikes, becuase i dont use my gears too much, but is it worth the change-over?
The best way to decide on SS is to pick one gear combination and only use THAT combo for, say a whole month. I thought I sold myself on SS after a week of riding in one combination (I picked a gear combo that had the same overall ratio as a particular SS bike I found on Craigslist, which I then bought), but I didn't ride over enough of my usual territory and eventually regretted buying the SS bike. But if it works for you, then go for it.

Does anyone have a road hybrid? What are your pros cons for it?
You mean with skinny tires and flat handlebars? I had one of those, too; well, kind of, because although it had skinny tires and could cruise pretty quickly, it (a Cannondale Bad Boy) was based on a mountain bike frame. Worked great, was a lot of fun, but when I started putting in bigger distances, I wished for drop bars and a quicker-handling frame. That's when I got a road bike, and soon sold the Bad Boy.

Is it worth to go up to an 180 mm crank? For my height and fitting it seems i should. Does anyone have experiecnce with those?
I don't think I've ridden anything longer than 175. There are some guys around the forums that have, though. The one tangible drawback I can think of would be a limited selection of 180mm cranks.

Just throwing this out there, has anyone tried airless tires? The full rubber ones? Any reviews?
Solid rubber or foam rubber? Oh God, no. I think our city's rent-a-bikes might use airless tires because they handle like pigs, but I'm not sure. There are tubeless tires now, though, that fit directly on the wheel rim (just like a car tire) and don't use an inner tube. They make them for mountain bikes and road bikes, but I don't know about other styles of tire.

Thank you
Remember, my advice is free, and you get what you pay for.