View Single Post
Old 01-20-12, 10:20 PM
Spld cyclist

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Fantom CXX, 2012 Motobecane Fantom CX, 1997 Bianchi Nyala, 200? Burley Rock 'n Roll

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After struggling with brake shudder/squeal on my Bianchi Volpe, I decided to install a fork-mounted brake stop up front on this one. The hooks Bikes Direct provided to hold the transverse cable were also kind of cheesy, although they would probably work ok. Here are some details in case you're thinking about doing the same.

I got an Origin8 "Rear Brake Hole Mount" and two Tektro "black cable triangles" from Niagara Cycle Works. Here's what they look like installed:

The brake cable provided by BD, which was intended to go to a stop under the stem, turned out to be just the right length to reach the fork-mounted stop.

The back of the cable stop didn't quite clear the lower part of the headset. I considered grinding a little off the back, but I ended up making a shim from a piece of 0.125" aluminum bar stock. The shim is about 0.75" square. This worked out well, because the cable stop is a little concave on the back and the fork crown is flat. Making the shim a little larger gave the cable stop a good surface to rest on. The bolt provided with the cable stop was too short, so I had to get another one from the hardware store.

The brakes squealed at first despite using this, but the pads just needed more toe-in than I used initially. After playing around a little with that, they now work well.

P.S. I was able to tune the shudder out of my Bianchi brake as well without resorting to this solution. However, that was kind of a battle while this was pretty simple, straightforward, and inexpensive.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2291.jpg (85.8 KB, 615 views)