Old 01-24-12, 12:02 PM
IAmCosmo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Staggerwing
Enjoy, it is a free country.

From my perspective, I don't see where 50-100 grams, and 4 less spokes at both ends are going to make me any faster. What else does fewer spokes accomplish? Fewer spokes means lower a "factor of safety." Basically engineering geek speak for how overbuilt something is. If I break a spoke, I'm 99% certain at 200lbs, I can limp home on a 28/32 wheelset after perhaps a little truing. Don't feel a confident about most of the boutique wheels. YMMV.

That PSImet set looks nice and thoughtfully designed. Devil is in the details. Looks like he went with a deeper section rear (Kinlin XR-300?) and slightly shallower front (XR-270?).
I don't really care about the weight. I'm just stating that there is no need to get a custom-built set of wheels when there are off-the-shelf wheels that work fine. If you have the money to spare, then by all means get custom wheels. If I had money burning a hole in my pocket I'd probably be riding custom wheels myself. But, I don't, so I'm not.

As for riding home... about 25 miles into a 45 mile ride I broke the hub on one of my Neuvations. The spoke head pulled through the flange. I zip-tied the loose spoke to the neighboring spoke and rode the rest of the way. I did open up my rear brake caliper slightly.

The wheel was replaced under warranty (three years after I bought it).