View Single Post
Old 01-24-12, 12:25 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
I've always kept the Ashtabula cranks and kickstands on my Schwinn road bikes because they look right and never creak or cause trouble. I found that the steel chainrings (even on my '64 Varsity and '62 Continental) are perfectly compatible with 9-speed chain (I used C9).
I did have to search extensively to find a few pair of the rare 1/2"-thread clipless bmx pedals, but now I can put my Supersports, Continental and Varsities up against the local Velo-Peloton and duke it out. I just wish I had an extra set for my '61 2-speed Traveler!

I found my 1980 PX10 to have Swiss threading, but when I first went to replace a bad bottom bracket I was thinking it seemed English because of the LH threading on the drive side.
As I installed a shorter, 113mm JIS bb to work with the (ISO) Stronglight arms, The alloy cups on the UN-71 replacement bb needed force to go past a couple of turns and I had to work both cups in with an 18" wrench, going back and forth a hundred times to cut the metric (Swiss) threads into the alloy English cups.
I was able to get the cups to seat nicely against the cartridge bb, and it should last at least 40k miles or forever, whichever comes first. I can't imagine it loosening from normal use. I had to really push on the cup tool to keep the splines from slipping out of the Shimano cup, but now the cups are fully home and the chainline is perfect for the 7-speed freewheel I'm using.

Originally Posted by Chombi
I only found Swiss threading weird because it is hard to find good quality BB's with the treading. Everynice NOS BB out there is either English or French and some Italian...
Chombi
Originally Posted by GrayJay
I've always thought that swiss threading makes the most sense of any BB threading, nice even metric sizes and LH/RH thread. If the french and swiss had conspired to push swiss threading, it may well have stuck around longer than either have since."

Last edited by dddd; 01-24-12 at 12:34 PM.