Bike Forums - View Single Post - Bicycle security: U-lock and other safety accessories [Q].
Old 01-24-12, 11:38 PM
SpotOn
Recreational Member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock 2010

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bicycle security: U-lock and other safety accessories [Q].

I bought myself a Specialized Hardrock 2010 (new bike, "last year model") for $300 some months ago, and I am now looking into buying a good lock etc. for my bike.

I am thinking about purchasing these locking skewers from www.BikeRegistry.com; $3.99, to replace my quick-releases, for the front and back wheel. Do it seem like a good product? Anyone here have experience with these or similar ones?

Also, if anyone have suggestions/links to locking skewers for the seat post, or cable/locking-mechanism for the seat, I'd appreciate that as well. Or if someone suggest how to buy cable + clamp thingy @ Home Depot etc and an easy way to make that... F. ex this one for the seat?: Saddle leash.

Second, when I bought the bike I bought a Kryptonite cable lock with it. However, after reading up on bicycle security, I have now determined that I want to get a hold of a U-lock as well, with a cable preferably. I know that cables can be sold separately, and I can do that if necessary if the cable does not come with a good deal on a U-lock...

What are your recommendations on these U-locks?
Kryptonite (does not specify what model...) (WalMart - $17.96)
OnGuard U-lock w/ cable (again, no model...) (Target - $19.99)
OnGuard Bulldog Mini 5015 w/ cable (Amazon - $21.99)

Again, if you have any other recommendations I'd be glad to read those as well. The key word is; a lock with relative high rating that does not cost too much.

Last edited by SpotOn; 01-25-12 at 02:29 PM.