View Single Post
Old 01-26-12, 11:41 AM
rmr1923

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lmcq784
I'd say that by the time you fix it up good (with new group, etc.), you'd be getting close to $1.7-$2k mark .... why not ask the LBS about a last year model new Roubaix for a discounted price (about the same neighborhood)? Then, you'll have the peace of mind that the frame should be undamaged (no hidden damage), and comes with a manuf. warranty.
this is what i was thinking. if the bike needs nothing replaced then it sounds like a good deal, but you can easily end up spending more on replacement parts than you did on the bike itself. take a REAL good look at every component on that thing if you are looking at possibly buying it. get the shop's opinion (if they're willing to offer one, since it's on consignment) on whether they believe anything needs to be replaced.

as an example (and a very cheap one at that), i recently picked up a 2003 Trek 1000 for my wife to get started riding on. i paid $100 for the complete bike, but have already spent $120-ish on replacement parts (FD, cables/housing, shifters, etc). but when i went to look at the bike, i KNEW i was essentially paying $100 for a frame, wheels, cassette, RD, and would be building up from there with parts i have laying around the garage, and stuff i'm finding on here, ebay, and craigslist. i'll be able to keep it in the sub-$300 range by the time it's in riding condition, which is still way cheaper than any new bike on the market, and if she ends up getting into it as much as i have then we'll get her a new bike at the end of the year and keep this one as a backup.