Old 07-18-05, 08:40 PM
jamiegoesbiking

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
You, sir or madam, are full of crap. Michigan is and always will be the greatest state in the union. And we will slash the tires of any foreigner who says other wise!

Truthfully, I think your opinion may have had a slight basis in fact--25 years ago! Let me supply some more up-to-date information--totally unbiased, of course. Today, Michigan is proud to have the largest Arab population in North America, and people all over the state recently rallied to the support of an Arab-Michigander who was wrongly persecuted by the Feds. We are also a center of African-American culture (Malcolm X grew up here) and a thriving blend of Finnish and many other cultures in our Upper Peninsula.

The Big Three auto companies have long had partnerships and affiliations with Japanese, British and German companies, so that tension has dissipated. As in the rest of the country, industry is rapidly becoming a smaller sector of our economy. We are home to two major land grant universities, and the birthplace of Motown, Bob Seger, Iggy Pop, techno, and many other forms of music.

Michigan is one of the most beautiful regions of the world, nearly surrounded by stunning beaches on four of the five Great Lakes, and containing thousands of inland lakes, large and small. We have three national parks and a beautiful system of state parks. If you visited, I guarantee you would love Michigan.
I don't know, Roody, St. Clair County is pretty awful for bicycling, as far as I can tell =) I'm originally from Northeast Ohio. I lived 10 minutes from Cuyahoga Valley National Park. I could drive just a little bit and ride for hours. I haven't figured out where I can go to do that in the Port Huron area. Maybe Canada?

On the other hand, St. Clair County is about as blue collar as it gets, and no one has ever said anything to me for driving a Honda with a Sierra Club sticker on it and a Cleveland Indians shirt on my back, hahaha. I like that people in the Midwest are generally nice.

I think it depends where you live. Ann Arbor is awesome, but once you pass New Baltimore going east, it turns a bit weird.