View Single Post
Old 01-26-12, 08:35 PM
merlin55

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm not a mathematician (I pretty much failed the medium advanced stuff in college) but here's a few things to think about when someone discusses "weight doesn't matter". I've said this before but since I haven't done a post on it I can't just link to it

1. When accelerating out of a turn I've counted pedal revs required to get up to speed. Significantly lighter wheels require 1-2 less pedal strokes. I'm resting or soft pedaling 6 pedal strokes away from the turn while others around me are still "pedaling hard".
2. I am not a strong rider individually. I absolutely rely on the draft. If I'm at my limit (200 watt average in the hardest crits gives me nothing for the sprint, 180w average lets me sprint, 170w avg may let me win) responding to moves, if I can save even a little bit, I can get on a wheel. Once I'm on the wheel my wattage requirements drop dramatically (like to 100w on a straight while at speed). If a heavier wheel requires me to pedal two extra pedal strokes at the limit, it'll take me a few laps to get shelled.

So, yes, on paper lighter weight shouldn't make much of a difference. In real life I think it makes a difference. I can't prove it. Please, some math/physics major try and prove it using numbers and such.
when sprinting, if you reduce the weight of each rim/tire by .5 lb/wheel, the improvement in your sprint would be if you lost 2 pounds of bodyfat based on basic high school physics....on rotational inertia