Old 01-27-12, 12:37 AM
BridgeNotTunnel
TortoiseNotHare

Bikes: Giant Escape 2 Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^^Alpha, I would have cursed the guy who buzzed you.... you're a better man then I.

My mother recently moved upstate to a town just outside Albany.

I'm visiting for a few days and borrowed a local friends 20yr old Specialized Crossroads.

This charming beater featured wheels out of true and a front derailleur that didn't always fully cooperate with me.

It was my first time riding with bar ends and I liked them but I still do not think they are "for me".

I had tried to pack the necessary clothing for a long cold ride but had underestimated nonetheless.

Leaving my ski jacket and Boggs boots home was my downfall.

As the snow really started to come down at mile 25 I felt something wasn't quite right with my body.

Arriving home completing the nearly 30 mile trip I couldn't immediately place this nauseous woozy feeling I was experiencing.

I KNEW I was hungry so slammed a banana with little effect. I then had a small glass of skim milk and a tall glass of water, still not very helpful. When I sat down and began to go through my photos I somehow felt that I needed to lie down so I wrapped myself in three blankets but within minutes experienced a very intense chill from my toes to head followed by goose bumps. I called to my mother (who had been concerned and checking on me every 5 or so minutes) for a small glass of juice; again, this did not seem to help. FINALLY it dawned on me that I must be experiencing mild hypothermia.

I call for a cup of tea.

I drink the Early Grey with a dollop of milk.

In 60 secs I feel 100% better and I'm up on my feet bouncing around like nothing happened.

At about mile 20 I thought to stop for a hot beverage but I thought stopping might be worse, and that it might be best to just power through. In retrospect, I should have stopped. Hypothermia can cloud your judgement, which may have been the case here....

This trip went from Delmar to Green Island and back which incorporated part of the Mohawk Hudson River Hike/Bike Trail.

I shot 2100+ pics with a pic every 2 seconds mode on my GoPro Hero.

I had not gotten around to applying Rain-X to the case yet so the last 300 or so pics were too blurry with snow melt to be any good....

Activity: Cycling
Date: 26/01/2012 12:34

Distance: 29.73 mi

TotalTime: 02:29:30

Average Speed: 11.93 mph

Calories: 2211 kcal

Start time: 12:34:00

End time: 15:32:11

Best(3500 yd): 14.93 mph

Max Speed: 23.15 mph

Max Pace: 02:35 min/mi

Average Pace: 05:01 min/mi

Total climb: 971 ft

Total descend: 906 ft

^^^Delware ave has these awesome signs. I knew I was in the right town when I saw those.

Last edited by BridgeNotTunnel; 01-27-12 at 12:49 AM.