View Single Post
Old 01-29-12, 05:59 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Campag4life
Since you stated this twice in this thread, I will chime in. A threaded BSA sleeve is NOT a permanent change. Technically its not a permanent change for a CAAD frame in particular because of a homogenous aluminum BB and can be pushed out without any injury to the frame. Also, Sram takes the position that it is permanent for BB30 frames with carbon shells...but...the truth is...they are just covering their liability. If you use Loctite 680 and a touch of heat for removal, the threaded sleeve will push back out without incident. The concern for permanency is...when pushing out a pressed in BSA threaded sleeve, the alloy cups insert molded into the carbon shell will dislodge. This 'may' be only an issue if using a more permaent Loctite which I would always avoid in this application. No problem if you use Loctite 680 as the molded alloy races inserted into a carbon shell can't tell the difference between whether you are pressing in a threaded BSA sleeve like shown below...or BB30 bearings.

OP...OK...you want to stick with your old DuraAce cranks and you have a BB30. On the cheap and effective?...slam dunk for wheel mfg inserts. Loctite BB30 bearings to your frame, press in the plastic inserts into the ID of the bearings, mount your DuraAce cranks and good to go. This method is used widely with excellent result. If you must use your BB...then push in the sleeve below with Loctite 680.

A few more points:
Bob is extremely knowledgable. And Bob...I am still running your computer genie mount and it is superb.

Flash doesn't know how to set up a BB30 and why he always comes to BB30 threads and disparages the design. BB30 is excellent with proper execution. Some guys shouldn't wrench on bikes and unfortunately many that are mechanically challenged own computers and come here to share their lack of insight.

So OP...those are your options. I would suggest BB30 cranks without your budget contraint but DuraAce cranks are superb and most of us couldn't tell the difference anyway not only in stiffness but handful of grams saved. A further aside is...Wheel Mfg. adapters help mitigate creaking because the delrin material they are made from is a natural sound damper. Also...the reason why Ultegra and DuraAce cranks work so well with BB30 with adapters is because they have adjustable preload and no wave washer.
Much of creaking has to do with not only improper bedding of BB30 bearings at set up...but insufficient axial preload due to crank spacing. Also, if bearings aren't properly seated in set up...they will seat over time due to cyclical axial loads, introduce more axial clearance and hence be prone to creaking. BB30 can't creak if bearings are good and properly set up.
I run BB30 on two bikes without issue. But then we know what we are doing. And when we get BB30 in on a new bike, we take it apart and check it out, then put it together again so the customer does not have a problem.
That kind if service is why we sell millions in bikes each year and in a sucko economy we are doubling our store size.
BB30 works fine as long as you know what you are doing.