Old 02-01-12, 02:34 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Info on a Japanese bike from the early early '70s, maybe late '60s

My wife was born in 1960. She was telling me how her dad bought her and her older sister's new 10 speed bikes back when she was a girl. I'm guessing she was roughly around 10-12 years old.

Her sister's bikes are long gone but she still has her bike. No, I don't have pictures yet, but I will get some in the next couple of days. The bike is a green lugged Japanese bike called Tiger Bikes by the emblem on the stem. It says made in Japan by the BB. There are no other identifying marks. I tried looking up Tiger Bikes but could find no info.

The story was that her dad and mom didn't have a lot of money when growing up but her dad had been saving up his money for a while. Then one day he comes home with 3 new bikes in the bed of his pickup for the 3 sisters. His wife was mad since she had no idea where he got the money for the bikes from. he had been saving his extra money for quite a while to buy the bikes. He had bought them at a LBS as far as my wife remembers. Her mom and dad have passed on so we can't ask them.

The bike appears to be a 26" men's bike, it does not have a step though frame. I am not sure of the brand of components it has, but i will look that up later. The lugs are painted the same shade of green as the rest of the bike was painted. The cranks are cottered but that jives with being from the late '60s/early '70s. It still is in nice shape but will need a complete workover, new cables, greased,cleaned, etc. She kept it garaged since she moved out of her house in '79.

I'm wondering if this bike is anything desirable or worth fixing up or is not much more than a cheap throwaway.