Thread: 10 Speed Chain
View Single Post
Old 02-01-12, 11:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
Any chain will wear at a faster rate on a tandem then a single. The narrower the chain gets the faster it wears as well. So expect more frequent chain replacement then what you're use to. I (we, but I make the mechanical decisions...) have stayed away from the 10 spd stuff and run 9 spd. When I worked at a tandem shop a few years ago most of the shifting complaints were with 10 spd stuff and STI in particular. But having said that, we had better acceptance with Shimano chains then with KMC. (It bothered us that a $6,000 bike would try to save a few $ with a non spec. chain). On our CoMotion we run Sram chain, Shimano cassette, Campy rear der. and Ergo levers through a Shiftmate. But then we're a light team, we spin and soft pedal during shifts and the bike gets a 35+ years shop wrench's personal care. Andy.