View Single Post
Old 02-02-12, 07:49 AM
ojgville

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad View Post
Frame material isn't a huge concern, nor what kind of shifter, or component level a bike is spec'd with. What I need help with are picking the brakes- I want something that has actual stopping power and not just a gradual reduction in speed.

And the geometry has to be less aggressive and more upright. Before I got my bike back in '08, the Opthamologist cleared me to ride*- so long as it wasn't on a drop bar. Mind you, I believe the TdF was airing back then, so he may have assumed that all road bikes have such aggressive geometries. And my wife was present in the room when he made this statement . So I'd have to get his blessing before I can get hers.
Modern dual pivot brakes provide more stopping power than you need. What makes for good braking is good brake pads. I recommend kool stop salmon pads, not pink, salmon. I like continental type . The cheap ubiquitious black rubber pads are not very good at stopping especially in wet weather.

I think a touring bike would be what you are looking for. Not just for the geometry but for other reason such as tire clearance and rack and fender eyelets.

If you really want braking power ride a fixed gear bike with hand brakes. Another advantage is that fixies give you a feel for the road the a freewheel bike can't which might be an advantage for you.

If it were me I'd look for an old touring frame and convert it to a fixie. No freewheel bike can compare to a the stopping power a fixie with a hand brake can give you. That said I've never had a bike with disc brakes so perhaps that is a route to try.