Old 02-02-12, 02:24 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mynameistaken
That is ridiculous... I hope the police put them through the ringer.
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I hope the police put the driver on a bike and cruised past him just as close.
Originally Posted by antmeeks
BTW, the frame grab above really makes me angry. Like Bruce Banner angry.
When we first visited the police station, they were very polite but quite adamant that there was nothing they could do. After all there were no impact, no hits, no nothing. And believe it or not, we understood. My teammate is a lawyer and knew that technically there was no rule broken (no 3 foot rule there, no impact, didn't seem intentional, etc).

That's when I asked the officer if he could take a look at the clip on my laptop. I had it preloaded so I let it play in real time (that caught his attention), then one frame at a time to show just how close it was (and my teammate was turning his shoulder in to his right - if he hadn't done that he'd have been tagged hard), then showed him the plate. The officer whipped out his notepad at that point and started taking down a bunch of info. You could even see the driver's profile, the various items in the back of the bed (all noted - it was basically neat but had different color fuel cans), etc. The officer said he'd go over right after we left - it'd be easier to confirm the vehicle if the same things were in the back of the pickup.

As a rider (and a driver) I don't run reds, I don't run stops, I stop on No Turn On Reds (even on the bike). I record virtually all my riding and driving time. I stand by everything I do on the bike. If there's a question about what I did (like if there's an accident) I'll gladly share my cam footage. I have nothing to hide. Therefore cam footage can only help me.

I totally stand by my helmet cam statement, about wearing one all the time. If you (generic you, not anyone here in particular) can stand behind all of your riding, then you should wear a cam. It can only help. It will never hurt you if you are not doing anything wrong.

If you cannot stand behind all your riding, then you're propagating the stereotype that cyclists are dangerous, that they don't obey traffic laws, etc. You damage my reputation; you encourage people to intentionally do stuff like this; you encourage public personalities to make anti-cyclist jokes and statements; you endanger funding for cycling infrastructure.

Think about what the benefit is when you break the rules. If it's a life and death situation, I understand. If you rolled through the No Right On Red because a dump truck behind you lost its brakes and was about to plow into all the cars behind you at 50 mph, I'd understand. But if you turn right because you don't feel like waiting, you deserve every bit of vitriolic hate directed your way.