Old 02-02-12, 04:27 PM
chschen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How to get started?

Hi,

Though I've been biking casually for since I was in elementary school, I've never really gotten into biking and would really like your help on getting started. In particular, I want to be able to bike around the city (San Francisco) easily. I don't really intend on doing it for sport--I'm just trying to get from Point A to Point B as easily as possible. In the past, I've commuted to and from school (about 25 minutes each way) on bike, but it was always with a miserable, cheap bike from Wal-mart or Target that inevitably would have problems with brakes, gears, seats, etc. It would be such an ordeal that I never enjoyed it. Now I want to start biking instead of driving, and I'd like a solid bike to get me to different parts of the city. I'm hoping to get something used and not over $200, but I don't even know where to begin. I was thinking of getting a road bike, but I've never tried it out before. Is it a good idea? When looking on Craigslist, what should I be watching out for? What are some reliable brands? I'm hoping eventually to be able to attach a bike trailer to it for groceries.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

P.S. I don't know if this is pertinent, but I'm 5'5" and a female.