View Single Post
Old 02-02-12, 11:59 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I look on it as defeat if I have to walk a hill. I may be going slow and cadence may be down into the 50's on the really long steep ones but Walking is a no-no for me. Couple of reasons--

I have a leg problem and Getting off and walking will cause me some pain---just walking. To be pushing a bike aswell will be even worse.

The hills are there to be conquered and it is one of the few challenges left for me.

Mind you- If it is that steep-I can always not do the hill- or turn round and try another day. It's been a long time since a hill did defeat me but with lack of practice over the winter and a bit of aging coming in- I doubt I could do the 16%er right now but a few rides on the gentler 12% and I will be ready.

Main bike is a compact with 34/27 and the hill bike is a triple with 30/25. I am not a speed merchant either so I do manage to save some energy for the slopes. And where I live- we have plenty of slopes.

Hills take a different mindset. They take training and they take some effort. Put me on a long flat ride and I get bored. Hills do provide the variety and the workout I need to keep me riding.

Spike Milligan