View Single Post
Old 02-03-12, 02:05 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Crankset and bottom bracket for touring

I'm currently in the process of choosing components for a brand new touring frame: a custom Rodriguez UTB. I'm really stuck with the limited choices of crankset and bottom bracket to choose from. The bike will mostly be used for faster randonneur rides with friends over the weekend and the occasional multi-day on/off road tour (30-35 lbs loaded). Given that, here are the two options I'm seriously considering:

1. Shimano's Deore M590 9 spd crankset with 26/36/48t. Seems to be a great value ($88) for what seems to be the only touring crankset available from Shimano in North America. I like the fact that the small and middle chainrings are made of steel with the largest chainring being aluminum. It gets great reviews in general in Europe where it seems to be very popular. It comes with an external bottom bracket, but that seems to be perhaps the weakest link as far as durability. Would you simply upgrade the BB from the get-go or keep as-is? If upgrade, what BB would you upgrade to? I've looked at what seems to be the top two:
A. Enduro's mid-range BB with ceramic bearings ($125, although they do have a chromium steel BB/bearing option for only $75!)
B. Chris King stainless steel BB ($135)

Pros/Cons going with this external BB set-up?

2. My second choice is pricier for what seems "outdated" but proven technology using a Sugino XD500 crankset with 24/36/48t at $160. It doesn't come with the square taper bottom bracket. From reading several threads it seems like tourists often go for Phil Wood's BB for an additional $120. Do you like this combo better? Pros/Cons?

My #1 concern is durability since I live in Mexico. I know nothing lasts forever, but if I could get $15,000+ miles out of a crankset/BB set up (excluding worn out chainrings and regreasing bearings), I would be very happy. If you think there's a combo that will work better, feel free to suggest. Thank you!

Last edited by Chris Pringle; 02-03-12 at 02:08 AM.