Old 02-03-12, 09:27 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Yoga - not the answer for everyone 50+

It is snowing heavily and I am bored, so here is a controversial topic to wake folks up a bit.

I frequently see Yoga espoused by folks as practically the answer to all of life's problems (or at least some of them).

Is that true?

A couple of recent articles dispute this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...amage-body-row

The offending article, which appeared across several pages of the paper's prestigious Sunday magazine (New York Times), was written by senior science writer William Broad. In it, he alleged that students and even "celebrated teachers" were injuring themselves "in droves" by over-ambitious and under-taught yoga moves.

He also quoted at length the views of local yoga veteran Glenn Black, who seriously hurt his back after years of practice. According to Black, "the vast majority of people should give up yoga altogether" because it's too likely to cause them serious damage.

How Yoga Can Wreck Your Body

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/08/ma...pagewanted=all

... a growing body of medical evidence supports Black’s contention that, for many people, a number of commonly taught yoga poses are inherently risky. The first reports of yoga injuries appeared decades ago, published in some of the world’s most respected journals — among them, Neurology, The British Medical Journal and The Journal of the American Medical Association. The problems ranged from relatively mild injuries to permanent disabilities. In one case, a male college student, after more than a year of doing yoga, decided to intensify his practice. He would sit upright on his heels in a kneeling position known as vajrasana for hours a day, chanting for world peace. Soon he was experiencing difficulty walking, running and climbing stairs.

===================================================================================

Yoga does not work for me, as my body does not, in any way, respond. My PT says I am naturally "tight" - she has been unable to loosen me up, despite daily stretching.

Actually, I detest Yoga.

So, to liven up a snowy cold morning . . .