Old 02-03-12, 09:31 AM
RFC

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
No, but looks like a nice one to try. I haven't managed to find a 'public' route to cross the Salt River at about Red Mountain-North Mesa. Google Maps claims bikes can cross at the end of E. Thomas Rd. But it's gated and looks like a construction quarry. I also tried at Power Rd/Bush Hwy. At the dam that feeds most of these canals. But I faced a DO NOT TRESPASS sign. The only known route presently is to head north on Gilbert Rd. to the Beeline Hwy. Off my beaten path.

Last week I tried the Consolidated Canal and Western Canal in the Southeast, to put in a birthday ride. Lot's of fun, I was on my cross bike, the wider tarmac tires had no trouble and I confidently kept a good pace on the loose stuff.
Last summer, on the spur of the moment, I rode part of the canal path from Pima east. It was a very hot day and I got about 10 miles in when I realized I would run out of water long before I got to Red Mountain and back, so I high tailed it home. There are no 7-11's on the reservation. I am going to ride it again this spring with adequate water. Those are mostly agricultural lands with lots of open ditch irrigation along the canal that appears to run year round. As a result, there are a whole series of "mini" ecosystems. I probably saw 30 species of birds, including a number I have never before seen in AZ.