Old 02-04-12, 03:11 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by silvercreek
What do you do if the hole ends up a little larger by the time you get the rivet out, maybe because of rust? Do they offer oversize rivets?
I should have mentioned that mine originally had hollow rivets--very easy and painless to drill out, provided you didn't use too large a drill bit.
Drive screws are available in a great many sizes. You want to choose one that will fill the hole in the badge pretty much completely, but not too large to be slipped in by hand. The holes in the headtube, on the other hand, need to be slightly smaller that the OD of the drive screws so they will hold when driven into place. Suppliers have should have a chart that tells you what size bit is required for a given size screw. It's easy--getting the old rivets out is the potentially tricky part.
Some forum members like to just fasten the badge to the head tube with silicone or some such, and then cement a couple of spoke heads into the holes to look like rivets. I have never tried that approach.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash