Old 02-06-12, 07:32 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
OK, another Wally thread.....

Yes, it's a 29'er. Yes, it's a singlespeed. Yes, it's likely 'erratic' in quality. Yes, MANY Walmarts have poor assembly.

Take it from one who KNOWS, you can only do SO much with that crap; this is a case of "OK, that HAS to be good enough." In nearly 12 years of toiling to make those things rideable (I'm acknowledged as being one of the best in three states, trained by a certified professional, approached by a pro team for a wrench job), I have come to accept that my best efforts can't overcome the sheer mass of crap. The LATEST 'issue du jour' is misalignment in the frame between front and rear wheels, the rear wheel is 'cocked' several degrees off to the right, VISIBLE in the workstand. Perennially, there are too-tight bearings, shifters that crap out in less than six months, brake levers that bend under a firm stop, and tires that roll like they're filled with cement. (Let's not forget the single-wall rims that warp when you give them a dirty look, or 45 psi of air)

Once in a GREAT while, there is one that slips through the sphincter, and is actually decent; since we can't even GET this one at my store, I don't know about it. I've been curious, as I am about another that's more 'hipster', but that's another story.....

(SIDE NOTE: fat tires a "load" to get started at a light?!? What kinda wimp are you that you can't get 700 GRAMS of tire rolling instead of 250?)